How to wash remy hair
A Remy human hair or synthetic hair weave helps to add volume and length to a limp or short hairstyle. The hair comes in a variety of styles, lengths, and textures for the perfect look. Caring for the Remy virgin hair requires attention to detail, special brushes or combs, and special shampoo and conditioning solutions. With proper care, the hair weave will last for years, providing a look of healthy, silky hair every time it is worn.
We all know that our extensions don’t get the natural oils from our scalp, which our actual hair benefits from, so our hair wefts are much drier and need a bit of special attention when cleaning. Today we’re going to share our way of keeping hair extensions as new, by washing them properly.
You Will Need:
- Soft bristle hairbrush
- Low pH/High moisturizing shampoo and conditioner
The Cleaning Process:
1. Brush before bed and before washing to ensure there are no natural occurring tangles caused by wind or friction
2. Do not brush wet hair as that is when hair follicles are at their most vulnerable.
3. Use organic and sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfate strips hair of natural oils, as there is no direct supply of nutrients from your scalp into the extension strands, it's vital that you use a no sulfate shampoo to avoid drying the hair out.
4. To avoid damaging the hair weaving, the cuticles, and your scalp, only wash with warm water.
5. Wash the hair gently in a downward motion with your palms, do not scrub or bunch the hair together as this will cause open cuticles to rub against each other causing friction.
6. Rinse between each wash, and wash only 1-2 times.
7. Whilst wet, add 2-3 drops of natural oil such as Almond or Coconut by gently applying it evenly over the hair, these oils will penetrate the cuticles and add moisture to hair extensions.
8. Natural oils do the work of most conditioners without the added chemicals and silicones, natural is always best.
9. Finally, lower the shower head and rinse your hair (not scalp) with cold water, this is known as the Arctic Rinse it will close the cuticles to lock the moisture and nutrients from the oil in, leaving you with nutrient-rich hair extensions.
10. Let your virgin Remy hair extensions air-dry at home, take 2-3 hours to wash, and naturally dry your hair - Do not use heat as this will swell and dry your strands.
11. Apply a small amount of Argan, Almond, or Coconut oil 2-3 times a week or when required. Argan oil is a great finishing oil for styling and frizz, however, it's a dry oil and does not moisturize the hair as well as Almond or Coconut.
12. For long-lasting hair extensions, moisturize your hair as you do your skin, it makes perfect sense.
Here are a few Frequently Asked Questions about cleaning virgin Remy hair weaves :
How often should I wash my hair extensions?
If you wear them every day, you should wash them once a week. Depending on your weather and on what hair tools and styling products you use, you might need to wash them even twice, but don’t worry, you’ll definitely feel when they could use a bath.
How do I know when to wash my extensions, since they don’t get oily?
You can actually wash your unprocessed virgin hair when they feel too dry! It will help them get a life boost. You should also wash them when you feel the styling product built up.
What hair products are best for washing hair extensions?
Any moisturizing hair products, dry and damaged hair ranges of products.
Should I wash my hair extensions in hot water?
Absolutely not! Use warm water or even cold, but don’t boil your hair extensions in anything.
Those are our quick tips for cleaning your Remy human hair extensions, we hope you learned at least one new thing and that we helped keep your precious hair shiny and soft.
Have an amazing week and may you have a good hair day every day!