How To Make A Wig Less Shiny
Although most people all like shiny and smooth hair, but sometimes human hair wigs and hair extensions are too shiny to look unnatural. Luckily, there are many ways to make a wig less shiny for a more authentic, natural look. Today we will explore these ways that can remove too much shine from wigs and hair extensions.
Tick One: Shampoo
Shampooing is one of the most common and easiest ways to remove the shine from a wig. However, not all shampoos work for wigs. Therefore, you had better make sure you choose the right one that is specially designed for human hair wigs when using shampoo, which can protect your human hair wigs from damages.
How To Remove Shine From Human Hair Wig With Shampoo
1. Fill the sink with clean water, add a few drops of sulfate-free shampoo to the sink.
2. Soak your wig in the sink for about 10-15 minutes.
3. Rinse your wig with water until all products are removed out and allow it free air dry.
Of course, you can repeat this process until you are aware that the wig doesn’t look as shiny as before.
Or you can use dry shampoo to make a wig look less shiny. After all, dry shampoo is an effective tool that can absorb excess dirt, sebum, and oils accumulated on the root of the wig. For shiny wigs and hair extensions, it can remove extra shine to create a more natural appearance.
Just shake and spray the dry shampoo directly on your wig then brush it thoroughly, you can take out the shine from a wig.
But there are some tips you need to follow when making a wig less shiny and more realistic with dry shampoo.
1. Don’t spray too close the hair to avoid the product can not be evenly distributed to your wigs.
2. Less is perfect. Keep In mind that too much dry shampoo can make hair dulled.
3. Only apply on completely dry hair, never to wet or damp hair.
4. After applying the dry shampoo on the hair, please don’t rub it in immediately and wait for a few minutes and let it dry on the hair.
Trick Two: Baby Powder
Another easy, quick, and cost-effective way to make a wig less shiny is to apply baby powder to your wig, which can achieve a more natural look. Whether your wig is a human hair wig or synthetic wig, similar to nose powder, baby powder can take off the shine from your wig, especially for the light colored wigs, such as blonde wigs, light brown wigs, and so on.
How To Remove Excess Shine From Wig By Using Baby Powder
1. First of all, you need to wash your wig and let it air dry. If you are in hurry, you can also use a blow dryer and ensure the wig is completely dry.
2. Place the wig on a wig stand or mannequin head and use some pins to secure it.
3. Sprinkle slightly baby powder on the crown of your wig.
4. Use a wide-tooth comb to brush the wig so that the powder can be distributed evenly through the hair strands.
5. Once you have done it, shake the wig carefully to get rid of the extra powder.
Trick Three: Baking soda
And you can use baking soda to reduce the shine on your lace front wig. We all know baking soda is a kind of salt, sodium bicarbonate. It is used to generally strip away oils, dirt, etc. More importantly, regardless of whether the wig is a human wig or synthetic wig, baking soda won’t cause any damage to it.
How To Make A Wig Less Shiny By Using Baking Powder
1. Use a wide-toothed comb to brush your wig to remove any tangle so that the baking soda can reach all the surface areas of those fibers.
2. Fill the sink with cold water and put about half of a cup of baking soda in the water.
3. Keep mixing the water until all the baking soda dissolves completely and there is no granular in the water.
4. Soak the wig inside the sink and let it sit for at least 2 hours.
5. After soaking, rinse the hair wig thoroughly, and then wash the wig with shampoo and conditioner as usual.
6. In the end, allow it to air dry and use your fingers or a wide-toothed comb to brush it after drying completely.
Trick Four: Fabric Softeners
In addition, fabric softeners are an easy way on how to make a synthetic wig less shiny. That is because fabric softeners contain chemicals that can help remove the excess shine off, just like dry shampoo.
How To Make A Synthetic Wig Less Shine With Fabric Softeners
To make synthetic wigs less shiny with fabric softener, you need to take the following simple steps:
1. Prepare a sink of water, and then mix fabric softener with a little water in a sink.
2. Dip your wig into that mixture and leave it to rest for around 10-15 minutes.
3. Take your wig out of the sink.
4. Rinse with cold water.
5. Let it dry naturally.
Trick Five: Vinegar
Vinegar, such as apple cider vinegar, is classified as a “weak acid” that will work to wear down the shine layer coating on your human hair wig or synthetic wig, thus giving you a more natural look.
How To Dull The Shine Of Brown Wigs And Black WigsUsing Vinegar
1. Pour 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar into a full sink of lukewarm water.
2. Take your wig and put it into the mixture you have mixed.
3. Leave the hair in the sink for about 10-15 minutes.
4. Take out the wig and rinse the hair under the water tab.
5. Wash it with shampoo to remove the vinegar smell.
6. Use a dry towel to gently squeeze excess water.
7. Dry Naturally.
What methods have you tried to make your wig less shiny? If you have a better one, let us know in the comments below.