How to Detangle Human Hair Wigs and Synthetic Wigs
When your wig becomes a mess, your first reaction may be to comb it hard or cut the tangles out. Without the proper knowledge, your wig could be severely damaged. In this guide, we'll show you how to use the proper techniques to detangle your wig. Bringing your wig back to life.
Why do wigs get tangled?
1. Wigs do not moisturize themselves. Our natural hair is moisturized by the sebum produced by our scalp. Wigs are not, so they tend to dry out and get tangled as a result.
2. Wig style affects the chance of tangling. Straight wigs are far less likely to tangle than wavy wigs and curly wigs, and the curlier your wig, the greater the chance of tangling.
3. Wigs with cuticles facing the same direction will constantly snag when adjacent strands come in contact with each other.
How do I detangle my wig?
Wigs are mainly divided into synthetic wigs and human hair wigs, and the untangling method is different for wigs made of different materials. So we will introduce the method of untangling wig knots for these two different types of wigs.
Tools and Products You Need
Before you get started, be sure to gather the following supplies:
●Water in a spray bottle
●A wig stand or mannequin head
●Styling tools (blow dryer, flat iron, curling wand, etc.)
●Microfiber towel (optional)
●Blow dryer (optional)
How to detangle synthetic wigs?
If you are wearing a wig that is a synthetic wig, it is recommended that you wash it every seventh time you wear it to minimize problems with this type of hair.
Step 1: Apply a moderate amount of shampoo to your hair and do not soak them. After that, wash the wig under a running tap. (Use mild water)
Step 2: Apply conditioner. Avoid roots or knots, then comb through with wide teeth. Start at the ends of your hair and slowly work your way down to your roots.
Step 3: Wash your hair.
Step 4: Let the wig dry. Place the wig on a stand and use your comb to comb through your hair and let it air dry.
How do I untangle a human hair wig?
If your wig is human hair, how to untangle the wig? You can refer to the solution below.
Step 1: Place the human hair wig on the holder. This will allow you to comb your wig better, especially if you have a long wig, which is critical. If you don't have a wig head or wig holder, you can place the item on the counter.
Step 2: Next, soak the wig in a sink of warm water for about 5 minutes; note, do not use cold water. Then, squeeze out the excess water from the wig. Put it back on the wig head.
If your wig is dirty, you can add a few drops of shampoo to the water. Then, rinse.
Step 3: Apply conditioner. Pour warm water and conditioner in a 3:1 ratio into a spray bottle, and then, after shaking it well, spray the mixture onto the wig, which will make it easy to manage
Step 4: Use a wide tooth comb to smooth out the knots and slowly move from the roots to the ends of your hair.
Step 5: Rinse your human hair wig by spraying clean water on it. This will help reduce the remaining fat after the wig has dried out.
Step 6: Air dry the wig. If you're in a hurry to wear your wig outside, you can use a hair dryer. However, to protect the wig hair, use a low temperature.
6 Tips for Preventing Wig Tangles
After completing all of the above tangle-free steps, you may be wondering what you can do to prevent your wig from getting tangled again, congratulations! You've got 6 tips you can use to prevent tangles.
1. Buy a quality human hair wig - High-quality human hair wigs are made from healthy virgin Remy hair with all cuticles facing the same direction. These wigs are less prone to tangling than synthetic wigs or non-human hair wigs.
2. Wash your wig regularly, but not too often - Washing your wig regularly is an important step in wig maintenance, but washing it often can dry it out and make it prone to tangling. It is best to wash your wig after 30 wears.
If you wear your wig every day, you can wash it once a month; if you don't wear your wig every day, the interval between washes may be more than a month.
3. Avoid dyeing your wig - dyeing your wig can cause some degree of damage to the hair cuticle. Damaged cuticles can lift and obstruct the surrounding strands.
If you want to keep your wig healthy, then you want to avoid dyeing it. If you want to try a different color look, you can buy a colored wig.
4. Use the right wig care products - Not all wig products are created equal. Choose natural products that are free of harsh detergents and surfactants (such as sulfates).
These chemicals can dry out your wig. And use a moisturizing conditioner to keep your wig hydrated.
5. Store your wig properly - The more you move or rub your wig, the more tangled it will become. That's why we recommend that you store your wig properly. For best results, place the wig in its original packaging or on a wig stand when not in use. 6.
6. Don't sleep with your wig on - When you sleep with your wig on, it can rub against your pillowcase, blanket, or even your skin and clothes. This can increase the probability of tangles. So, take off your wig before you go to bed.
Untangling a wig requires patience and care, but with the information in this article, you can easily untangle even the messiest of wigs.
Now is your chance to share your knowledge. How do you detangle your wig at home? What is the best advice for restoring your wig? You can share below in the comments.