Beginners Guide to Wigs:The Ultimate Guide to Wigs 2020
Everyone wants to feel confident and attractive in their own skin. A quality, flattering wig is a great way to enhance your style and confidence.
Wigs are available in many types, including those made from human hair or synthetic hair; those with various cap constructions; wigs for women, men, and children; full lace wigs or partial wigs; and hair wigs in every style and color.
People wear wigs for a variety of reasons, including hair loss, religious mandate, or aesthetic preference. Whatever your reason, choosing your wig carefully and evaluating wig retailers can help you make a great purchasing decision.
With so many options available, it is important to choose the type and style that works best for you. Our guide will help you select the best wig for you and will take you through:
What you will learn from this article:
Things you should know before buying a wig
What Is a Wig?
A wig is a head covering that’s typically made from either human hair or animal hair, although some natural hair wigs are made with synthetic fibers. The root word ‘wig’ is derived from the word ‘periwig’. The term first showed up in documented English literature around approximately 1675 AD.
Natural wigs are worn for many reasons. Some people simply want to hide their hair loss, some women use realistic wigs like apparel, as an opportunity to periodically change up their appearance. In the film, it’s common for actors and actresses to use costume wigs to suit the characters they portray.
The Benefits of Wearing a Wig. (Why Wear Wigs?)
- Wigs for cancer patients can conceal natural hair issues.
- Wigs for black women are convenient.
- No commitment. You can try different styles.
- Human wigs can protect your hair.
- You can save a lot of money!
- Professional performance.
- Bonus Benefit: If you take proper care of your African American wigs, you might never have a bad hair day again!
Questions to consider when choosing a wig
Which material is best for you?
The material that the wig hair is made from will affect the appearance and care of the wig. Different materials also come with different price points and longevity.
- Because they are made from real human hair, these human hair wigs for black women can be styled, washed and worn just like natural hair.
- This gives the most realistic appearance of any wig, but also means you’ll need to style it every time it gets wet and condition it regularly.
- You can also bleach or dye natural hair wigs for a different look. Look for natural hair wigs that are labeled “Remy.”
- This indicates that the hair on the wig runs in the same direction (from root to tip) as natural hair growth, which preserves the cuticle and makes the hair lay smoothly on the head without tangling badly.
- These wigs can last up to a year when worn daily but are the most expensive wigs. Because these wigs require a lot of upkeep, people looking for low-maintenance wigs should consider a different type.
- Synthetic wigs are made from synthetic materials like nylon or the synthetic materials Toyakalon or Kanekalon.
- Even though they are not human hair, well-made synthetic wigs are often very similar to their natural counterparts. They also have the advantage of holding their style longer.
- However, synthetic hair wigs cannot be exposed to extreme heat or they will melt, which means no curling irons or straightening irons to achieve your desired style.
- Synthetic wigs often last up to six months when worn daily and are the most affordable wig option.
- Heat-friendly synthetic wigs are made of synthetic fibers but can withstand high heat, usually up to 350-400 degrees.
- This allows you to style the wig using a curling or straightening iron. These wigs are a bit more
- Also called human hair blends, these wigs combine human hair with a heat-friendly synthetic fiber.
- These wigs can generally withstand temperatures up to 300 degrees, which means you can style them with a curling iron or straightener. They are more affordable than natural hair wigs.
Human hair vs Synthetic Wig
Understanding the differences between human hair wigs and synthetic wigs is a good starting point for selecting the perfect wig. Choosing between human hair and a synthetic hair is one of the most important decisions you will make when selecting a wig.
Synthetic hair wigs and human hair wigs have their own advantages and disadvantages that make them each an ideal choice at different times.
Advantages and disadvantages of Human hair or Synthetic Wig
Human hair wigs
Synthetic hair wigs
Human hair vs Synthetic wig, which is better?
While there are pros and cons to each type of wig, considering the following questions when deciding between Human Hair and Synthetic Wig can help to determine which type of hair fiber to go with.
Questions you should consider:
What is your budget?
What type of hair loss do you have?
Where will you wear your wig?
How often will you wear your wig?
Do you like to frequently change up your look?
In a word: both are great options depending on your needs and budget. Below is a comprehensive comparison of human hair wigs and synthetic hair wigs.
Human hair vs Synthetic wig: Which Type of Hair is Best?
|Longevity||1-3 Months||3-6 Months|
|Use Heat?||Head Defiant Only||Yes|
With so many different styles of wigs on the marketplace, picking a wig can be pretty confusing. There are lace front wigs, human hair lace wigs, and several other wig-like for women.
Types of human hair wigs
In general, the cap is the part of the hair replacement that the hair is attached to. They are different cap constructions. Each cap type has its own advantages. A final consideration is the wig cap. Here are the different wig caps that are available:
|100% HAND-TIED||LACE FRONT||MONOFILAMENT TOP||WEFTED|
|• Very natural appearance as each hair moves freely.||• Creates a very natural hairline.||• Illusion of natural growth from the scalp where the hair is parted.||• Pre-teased at the roots so creating lift.|
|• styling versatility as you can comb the hair in any direction.||• Allows for styling hair away from the face.||• Double monolayer of extra soft material for added comfort.||• Cost-effective, durable & affordable.|
|• Ideal for sensitive scalps, the softest and most comfortable cap.||• Caution when handling due to the delicate nature of the material.||• Full top, Parting, or Crown areas.||• Good air ventilation from the open wefting construction.|
|• Lightest construction method.||• Ready to wear now available.||• Most popular type of wig.||• Capless and traditional types.|
Reasons Many Women Love Lace Front Wigs
They Provide a Natural Looking Hairline:
- Human lace front wigs are excellent when you want to keep your wig a closely guarded secret.
- The invisible sheer lace front is designed to blend with your skin’s complexion to create the illusion of natural hair growth along the hairlines.
- Best lace front wigs are among the most popular wigs available today. It’s easily one of the most popular cheap human hair wigs for black women.
They Are More Affordable Than Ever:
- Due to their production costs, these lace front wigs with bangs were previously reserved for celebrities, actresses, and other professional television and movie personalities.
- However, due to technological advancements, there has been a paradigm shift leading to significantly reduced costs. Cheap lace front wigs have become quite affordable and more common among those with middle-class incomes.
- More and more wig manufacturers today offer African American lace front wigs as their lead product offering. This means that your choices just keep growing with each day.
Lace Front Wigs vs Full Lace Wigs
What’s a lace front wig?
Human hair lace front wigs are wigs that have a small sheer lace panel along the front hairline attached to the front of the wig.
The hair strands are hand-sewn into the holes of the lace. ... Wearing black lace front wigs is very simple because they are stretchy and cover the entire scalp area with a natural-looking hairstyle.
What’s a full lace wig?
A full lace wig is constructed from a lace cap that covers the whole head and the 100% human hair is knotted into this by hand. On standard Remy lace wigs, there is a strip of stretch lace over the top of the crown to allow for movement such as hair growth underneath and for variations in head size.
Difference Between Full Lace Wig And Lace Front Wig
- The main difference between a full lace wig and a lace front wig is the base.
- Full lace wigs have a base entirely made out of lace and each strand of hair is hand-tied onto the base for a natural finish. A full lace wig covers your entire head so it’s often recommended that you wear a wig cap whilst wearing one.
- On the other hand, a lace front wig is attached to the front edges of your head, along with your hairline where there is often a lace panel. The rest of the wig is made with a stronger and thicker material and the hair strands are attached in wefts to this material.
Lace front wig and full lace wig, which is better?
1. In comparison to front lace wigs, full lace wigs are more expensive as it takes longer to make. It will take a technician 3-5 days to finish the crocheting process of the full lace wig. However, it is the best wig for versatility.
2. In fact, you should choose according to your own need, budget, and patience you would like to care for it. Many others prefer lace frontals for its benefits, the basic function 3 closure belong it can also provide, the comparison the money of full lace wig, it can be a wise choice.
For me, I prefer the full lace wig. Except for the price, it is more versatile, they can be parted anywhere and styled in many different ways which are not quite so with human hair front lace wigs;
Besides, a full lace wig is with lace all around available for being worn in a high ponytail, which gives a more natural look than lace front wig;
After you have got the information above, you know the types of Remy human hair wigs, you can go to buy a wig you like, If you want to learn how to buy a wig or simply want to know where to buy a wig, this comprehensive guide will answer all of your questions.
Things you should know when you buy wigs
Interested in trying a wig but don’t know where to start? Look no further. Once you decide to buy a wig for yourself, there are many things you should think about. Ahead, we take you from A to Z of buying wigs.
Here are the 5 factors that go into finding the perfect wig to achieve a more beautiful you:
How to Buy an Appropriate Wig for Your Face Shape?
While you consider and compare different wigs that interest you, take some time to think about the styles that might be flattering based on the shape of your face. Your face shape is the starting point to choosing a style that flatters you. Below are a few guidelines you might find helpful.
Longer than it is wide, with a narrower jaw.
Your best look: Most any style should work on this face shape— short, medium, or long.
Celebrity Faces:Jamie Lee Curtis, Sofia Vergara, Julia Roberts, Christina Aguilera
Wider at the forehead, with a narrower jaw.
Your best look: Swept-forward layers around upper face and fullness at jawline.
Celebrity Faces:Eva Longoria, Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Lopez, Halle Berry
The strong, angular jawline is slightly wider than the hairline.
Your best look: Styles that will lengthen the face and add fullness on the top.
Celebrity Faces:Maria Shriver, Angelina Jolie, Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Aniston
Fuller face features a rounded chin and hairline.
Your best look: Chin-length or longer, fullness and height at the crown, off-center parts.
Celebrity Faces:Katie Couric, Kelly Ripa, Queen Latifah, Kelly Clarkson
How to Determine Your Wig Size?
Your perfect wig starts with finding the right fit.
Here is the measuring guide:
Measure all around the head. Position tape measure so its edge follows the hairline around the head and nape of the neck.
2. Front to Nape:
Measure from hairline at center of forehead straight back over crown to center of hairline at nape of the neck.
3. Ear to Ear across forehead:
At front of the ear, measure from hairline at base of sideburn, up across the hair line along forehead to the same point in front of another ear.
4. Ear to Ear over top:
Measure from the hairline directly above the ear across the top of the head to the hairline directly above the other ear.
5. Temple to Temple round back:
From temple to temple across the back of the head.
6. Nape of Neck:
Measure the width of the hairline across the nape of the neck.
How to choose your hair color?
Different settings on individual monitors may distort or change colors. The safest way to get the color that best matches your own hair is to take advantage of our Color Chart.
Here is the color chart.
How to measure the hair length?
The hair length should be from the head top to the hair bottom as the hair is straight. The curly and wavy wigs are processed from straight wigs, so in the same length, curly and wavy wigs will be shorter by 1-2 inches (it depends on how deep the curl is) than straight wigs.
How to choose hair texture?
Once you have decided on your size, hair type, and cap type, now you can have fun. For women who have very long hairstyles before their hair loss, it is often best to go a bit shorter. A shorter wig will be easier to manage, and less of a transition once your hair begins to grow back.
It is important to choose a style before you choose a color. Because the key to natural-looking human hair extensions is to match the texture of the hair extension to your own natural hair.
If you would like to match your style to your existing hair, you should understand the quality of your hair, including density, texture, porosity (your hair’s ability to hold moisture), elasticity, and curl pattern, besides, you should learn the different types of hair that are available, as well as how to tell them apart, both from each other.
The most popular and widely available types of virgin hair used for weave and wigs are Brazilian, Peruvian, Indian, Malaysian. They are distinguished by their respective textures and come in multiple wave patterns such as straight, wavy, deep wave, or tight curly.
- luxurious, very soft, thick, and durable. It also has a lot of body and natural shine and it holds curls very well. Choose this if you want to create a full look with fewer bundles.
- versatile, extremely thick but light, soft, and luxurious. It blends well with most natural hair and like Brazilian hair, provides a full-body look with fewer hairpieces.
- heavier and thicker than Indian hair but it is also softer and silkier. It is also characterized by a great natural shine. This hair type blends well with African hair. It also holds curls better and longer than the other types with little to no product
- one of the most common and widely available hair types on the market. The best choice for long-lasting natural-looking hair extensions. This type is also versatile, naturally silky, and lustrous. It can be worn straight, curly, in a loose wave, in a natural wave, in a body wave, and in a deep wave texture.
- It also doesn't need to undergo any chemical treatments to attain a particular style. Its texture and color are also easily matched to hair types from various ethnicities.
Although many women do not choose to wear wigs by choice, they do find that there are unexpected benefits. One is that your morning routine is simpler. You will also save money on hairstyling, cuts, and coloring. You will never have a "bad hair day."
If you are a beginner of a wig, when you get your own wig, there will be many questions you should face: how to wear the wig? How to maintain your wig? How to style a wig? How to style a wig...Follow me, the answer is below.
Things you should know after you have a wig
How to wear your wig?
- Putting your piece on properly is essential to getting comfortable with the look and feel. If you have long hair you’ll want to be sure it’s tightly wrapped.
- Part your hair down the middle, creating two distinct sections as if you were styling for pigtails. You’ll always want to part your hair to contain it and keep it from popping out.
- Pull each section tightly toward the back of your neck until they cross over to opposite sides.
- Pin the ends of each at the side hairline.
- Place the wig cap over your head and adjust as needed.
If you have short hair:
- Brush your hair back and smooth it down under the wig cap.
- Place the wig cap over your head and adjust as needed.
For additional support and security, some customers use double-sided tape or adhesive, which can be found on our website in the accessories section. Sometimes all you need is to adjust the tension of the straps on the back of your cap.
How to Maintain Your Wig:
Cleaning and Maintenance
When caring for your wig, imagine you are washing delicate garments. If it’s being worn daily, it’s recommended that it be washed at least once a week. If it’s only being worn occasionally, you needn’t wash it quite as frequently.
Cleaning a Natural Wig
- Start by filling the sink with cool water
- Pour in a mixture of mild shampoo and conditioner
- Soak the wig in the mixture
- Work the solution through the hair from roots to tips
- Rinse in warm water
- Gently towel the hair dry
- Comb wet hair from nape to crown using gentle downward strokes, one section at a time
- Allow the wig to air dry
- Restyle using a blow dryer or curling iron on a low heat setting
Natural wigs are an investment and must be cleaned according to the instructions. If you have any questions about cleaning your wig properly, call our professionals to help.
Styling a Natural Wig
Human hair wigs online can be styled just like your own hair, with curling irons, flat irons, hairdryers, etc. However, you’ll want to be sure that you don’t get too close to the base of the wig. Heat applied to the base can melt or damage the cap.
- Always use a wide-tooth pick or comb for curly styles, and a wire brush for straight styles. AVOID STANDARD BRUSHES
- Start at the tips and work your way to the roots.
- Style with electric rollers on a medium setting
- For a complete restyle, take your piece to a professional stylist
Following Instagram and YouTube accounts that provide hairstyling tutorials so you can learn how to do it yourself every now and again. Check out the video below:
Storing your wig
There are several options for wig storage. They should always be kept in clean, dry areas, away from any heat source or window. Being left in direct sunlight can lift the color, making it appear artificial or uneven. Store your wig:
- On a wig stand
- A Styrofoam head form.
- Or fold it inside out and place it in a box; this helps preserve the fiber and retain the shape.
You can purchase a wig stand or Styrofoam head in the Accessories section of our website.
As a first-time buyer, you probably have many questions, which is why we’re here to assist you anytime,
Tips to make your wig look natural
- Know Your Size: Finding the right size wig for your head will make your wig feel more comfortable, it will also help your wig look more natural.
- Line Up Your Wig With Your Natural Hairline;
- Blend it Out: Lace front wigs near me are great at mimicking a natural hairline, but they’ll never beat the real thing. If you’re lucky enough to have some natural hair, try ‘blending’ your natural hairline with the hairline of a lace front wig.
- Trim Your Wig: Typically, we aren’t completely happy with a new haircut until our hair has had the time to grow out a bit. To mimic that natural, grown-out look, take your wig to a stylist and ask her to use a razor to cut in some layers or jagged edges.
1. As with virgin hair extensions, you should care for them as you would your own hair.
2. There are some key factors to keep in mind to extend the life of your unit.
3. Take off custom units and store-bought wigs every night and store them on a mannequin head.
4. If your wig is sewn along your hairline, however, wear a silk bonnet or scarf at night to protect the hair and keep it in tip-top shape (the same goes for full-lace wigs that have been applied with an adhesive).
Here are some tips for you:
- Wash your wig(s) with sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner
- Don't wash them too much
- Keep all wigs on a mannequin head when not in use
- Do not use heat on synthetic wigs
- Never use heavy oils or styling creams
Finding a wig doesn't have to be overwhelming. If you are losing your hair due to cancer, alopecia, chemotherapy treatments, or other medical conditions, or if you simply want a new look, here is the right place for you.
Where to buy good wigs?
Where you buy your wig can affect the price and whether or not you can return it if it doesn’t seem to be right for you. Look for a retailer with a generous return policy, a good reputation, and responsive customer service.
Brick-and-mortar wig shops:
- Many people choose to purchase their wig from a physical store specializing in wigs. Wig sellers are experienced in finding the right wig or hairpiece for clients with different needs and desires and can often help you find one that fits right and looks good with your face shape and coloring.
- A small wig shop is unlikely to have a very large selection, but can often order other styles that you might like. A boutique shop is likely to charge higher prices than online stores or mass merchandisers since they have higher overhead expenses.
Online wig shops:
- Wig stores on the Internet usually have the largest selection, but because you cannot handle or try on the wig prior to purchasing, it can be hard to find one that works best for you. Check the store’s return policy before purchasing; you’ll want to be sure you can return a wig that doesn’t fit or doesn’t look right.
- If you’ve never purchased a wig before, visit a retail wig store before buying online to get an idea of which brands, materials, and styles you like best. When you buy online, keep in mind the colors might not be the same on your screen as they are in person.
Beauty supply stores:
- Many large beauty supply stores offer a selection of wigs, but because these stores do not specialize in wigs they are unlikely to have a very broad selection. They may only carry synthetic wigs in a few standard styles, although they may have a catalog from which you can order other styles.
- A beauty supply store is a good place to buy a wig if you need it immediately and do not have any wig shops in your area, or if you want a wig for a costume or very temporary use, as they tend to be more affordable at these large stores.
Where to buy good wigs online?
If you want to buy cheap African American wigs? The best place is an online wig store.
As we know time plays a very important role in our life. Meanwhile, the price of products online is cheaper than others. So you can buy natural-looking African American wigs from online wig stores.
Some benefits of online shopping wigs are:
1. It provides black wigs that look real with better prices.
2. We can get more varieties of African American human hair wigs.
3. There is no crowd while online shopping we are free to purchase it any time.
4. You can follow Instagram and YouTube accounts that provide hairstyling tutorials so you can learn how to do it yourself every now and again
5. We can send cheap African American wigs as gifts more easily to our relatives and friends.
How to buy good wigs online?
- Step 1: Before you purchase a wig for yourself, you have to decide on what type of hair wigs you’d like to get. Remy human hair wigs tend to be the preferred type as they are the most similar to one’s natural hair in terms of look and feel.
- Step 2: Next you’ll want to research the top brands online offering the best wigs. Such as Bellami hair, UNice Hair, Vogue wigs, Hair sisters wigs, and so on, UNice human hair wigs are 100% Remy human hair and can be easily styled using any thermal tool such as straightening or curling iron, to achieve a desired look and texture.
UNice hair wigs can be purchased online at www.unice.com. If you’re local to Culver City and Southern California, you can also visit the UNice Beauty Bar to be personally color-matched and styled by a UNice Hair professional educators.
Feel & touch the hair and experience beauty up front!
Experience who you can be, just because you can!
Cheap wigs get more and more popular for their benefits, but the cost for a wig is determined by the cap type, hair type and density, and length, with prices ranging from $100 on into the thousands! Human Virgin Hair Wig is more expensive than Remy human hair and a 12-inch wig is definitely going to cost less than a 24-inch wig.
How to make a wig?
I get asked all the time about how to make a wig, well it’s time that I share the quick and easy method. A crochet human hair lace wig is a great choice due to its ease, affordability, and how easily you can change the styles!
This video will demonstrate how to make a wig easy. Detailed talk thru from start to finish on how to make a lace closure wig for beginners! Learn how to make a wig, customize your closure to look natural, and cut the lace property!
You can have a try If you’re interested in trying to make a wig yourself. Making your own wig closure piece, means you’re guaranteed to get the look you want. However, if you are not good at make things by yourself, or you are easily busy and impatient, haha, I advise you would better buy one lace wig you like from the best hair vendor.
FAQ about wigs
Q: How to Wash a Wig?
A: After washing a wig, do not dry as a whole but carefully dry it piece-by-piece.This ensures each strand of fibers doesn't come off. Also, never style your wig while it's wet. Even wet-to-style hairstylists are known to damage the wig.
Q: How to Maintain Human Hair Wig in shape?
A: After usage, remove the wig and station it on a wig stand.
Do not tug & pull the wig as you remove it. The stand will maintain its shape in place.
Q: The Right Way to Measure Wigs
A: 01Measurement of straight hair wigs: Start from head spin to the longest hair at the bottom.
02. In order to measure the length of wavy hair wigs, it would need to be stretched. Repeat Step 01.
Q: Can Wigs Be Dyed?
A: YES, human hair wigs, the color can be deposited. Low lights can be added easily for depth or adding rooting at the crown. We do not recommend lightening the wigs as the color does not light evenly or not at all. Synthetic wigs cannot be colored as they have no cuticle.
Q: Can Wigs Be Styled?
A: YES, on human hair wigs heat tools (curling irons and flat irons) can be used on medium heat. Synthetic HD fiber (heat defiant fiber) can take the medium heat as well. Just be sure to let the style cool and set to stay.
Q: Can Wigs Be Curled?
A: YES, human hair wigs can be curled with a curling or straight iron. In synthetic hair the curl is baked in, so when you wash the hair the curl pattern comes back.
Happy hair days!